Years ago, I bought one of those fancy plastic pom pom makers. I used it once or twice, got frustrated, and it's been collecting dust in my studio ever since, Instead, I came up with this super easy way of making pom poms that just involves an index card. Today I want to share that method with you in this Super Simple Pom Pom Tutorial!
All you will need is:
1-2.. Fold the index card into thirds, longways
3. Cut a length of yarn at least twice as long as the index card
4. Fold the index card around the length of yarn so that some sticks out on either end.
5. Begin wrapping the remaining yarn around the index card. Don't pull too tightly or the card will begin to bend.
6. Continue wrapping the yarn until you've wrapped about 150 times.
7. Cut the wrapped yarn from the ball and then carefully slide the card out, leaving just the middle strand of yarn
8. Make sure both ends of the middle strand are sticking out of the wrapped yarn.
9. Take the two ends of the middle strand and tie a TIGHT knot.
10. Wrap the middle strand around the center of the pom pom and tie another knot. You will have to flip the pom pom over each time and move some of the loops out of the way. Do this at least three times.
11. Cut the middle of each loop in the pom pom. Don't cut the yarn for the middle strand (you will use this later to sew your pom pom on to whatever you're making).
12. Once you're done cutting loops, your pom pom should look like this. A little rough around the edges, but the general shape is there!
13. Give your pom pom a haircut. This will help even the shape, and cutting the strands slightly shorter will increase your pom pom's poof factor.
14. Fine tune your pom pom's shape by looking for little pieces that are sticking out. You will amass a small pile of pom pom shavings.
15. Your pom pom is done! Use the two long strands to sew your pom pom onto your project!
Exclusive coupon codes, sneak peeks, and woolly-filled updates for your inbox!